Saturday, November 17, 2012

Camp McDowell

Well, I wasn't home for too long  before I left again for one of my favorite weekends of the year.  Most years I am blessed to be able to volunteer for a lovely group of folks who have a retreat at  Camp McDowell , an Episcopal camp and environmental center in Nauvoo, Al near Jasper.  When I have a break I get to enjoy the hiking trails and the quiet meditation spots scattered around the property.  There are over 900 acres which include forest, creek, and canyons. The camp includes conference center facilities and also a children's camp area. People of every faith and background are able to use the facilities and it is always full of activity. If you want to know more go to www.campmcdowell.com/Share.  Today I had a break in the middle of the afternoon so I took a walk in the beautiful sunshine.  I think the temps were in the 60's, so it was a perfect day for a walk.  I found a eucalyptus tree in the herb garden and took a little snippet of leaf to enjoy the smell while I walked.  I had no idea that eucalyptus trees would grow in this climate, so now I want to find one to put in my garden.  I have no idea where it will go, but oh that smell is so heavenly!

Photo taken earlier in the year .  The area in the foreground is one of the gardens I have started to redo as it has gotten over crowded.  On my to do list is to find out if the native grasses I have planted there can be divided so that I can use some in other parts of the garden. 
Before I left home on Friday, I did get to move a few plants around, and because we have not had rain since Monday and none was expected for the weekend I rushed to get all the potted things, the new plantings and the veggie garden watered.  The snow peas have blossoms on them so we will be feasting on them soon.  I like them raw in salads and also in stir fry.  We still have bok choy available, and 2 spinach plants plus lots of lettuce.  None of the tender herbs have  been frozen out yet, so I may get another batch of pesto made when I get home. One of the things I did get done was to plant the rose bush and the 2 lilies that my sister had given me while I was in Wisconsin last week.  I relocated a couple of new plantings of iris to put the lilies in and felt guilty about not letting the poor little things get used to one place before moving them to another.  I hope they do OK with yet another disruption. I also  moved some of the autumn joy sedum from the garden pictured above into the new little succulent garden I started last week.

I left the camera at home so that Allen could use it, so sorry, no pictures of Camp McDowell.  I hope you do take a look at their web site, and that you check out their plans for an amazing new addition to the camp facilities that will include much more accessible space for folks with disabilities, and special needs, as well a demonstration farm.  I hope that I am able to do some of the volunteer work needed in that area.  I love it up here!

Time to take a walk back to the lodge ( the only internet access is in the office).  Another bonus of being away from the city is the incredible show of starry sky and crescent moon tonight.

Happy planting! 
Gma Susie

No comments:

Post a Comment