Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Compost Morning High/ ginger lilies










 Ginger Lilies














Gardenias having their second bloom
Went out to do chores this morning  and after watering the potted plants, weeding and fertilizing (organic fertilizer) the veggies and wandering around looking at flowers, I decided to move some of the weed and branch compost pile farther back in the garden.  I put it at the lot line with the Vestavia Hills Parks property that adjoins the school.  We will be putting a combination fence and shrub barrier there this fall.  As I took off the top layers to move them to the new location, I was astounded to see how much the underneath layers had decomposed already.  The pile is only about 6 months old.  So much activity with all the various insects and worms that help with the decomposition.  It is fascinating to watch them scurry around.

A few weeks ago I read an article that showed up on Treehugger.com about the chemical composition of the composting material, and how there is a chemical created that gives humans a natural high when they take a good whiff, so I took a few.  I do like the smell of all that humus, and I did have a good day.  Perhaps I should start off every day with a few inhalations near the freshly turned compost.  Maybe it makes the bugs happy , too!

I have one bin of compost that I use for the vegetable gardens, and then a couple of piles of decaying branches and weeds, and other lawn refuse that I use around the shrubs and to fill in holes, etc.

The vegetable garden  compost bin gets layers of vegetable food scraps from the kitchen, shredded newspaper, and grass clippings, and leaves (in the fall) and every once in a while I throw in some spent potting soil.  I turn it every so often to keep it cooking.  I have an open bin of plastic and one of fencing.  Compost bins can also be made of wood, or plastic garbage cans with holes poked in them, and there are lots of commercially made types available in garden catalogs. It is a very beneficial way to add nutrients to your soil.

Many years ago when we lived in Wisconsin I saw a magazine article about building a round garden with a fenced compost bin in the center and then garden beds radiating from that like the spokes of a wheel, with little paths in between for access.  The climbing veggies could be planted at the compost fence and receive the nutrients from the compost as they grew.  I thought it was a grand idea and we had a large empty lot next to the house, so I proceeded to build it.  Unfortunately we moved the next year, but I did love that garden for the one year I had it.  The topography of our present lot, with my garden sandwiched between a retaining wall and the septic field ,  and the slope in the rest of the area does not lend itself to that particular design, but I sure would like to have one made like that  again some day.  Perhaps I can figure out a way to do a half  wheel garden here.

The ginger lilies (Hedychium coronarium) are in full bloom this morning!  They are lovely delicate white blooms with a sweet delicious smell , not gingery at all. My gardenia bushes are also having a little bit of a second bloom, so I think I will make a small arrangement to bring in for my Bible study group when they meet here tomorrow morning. 

Ginger lilies are another good passalong plant.  They are best planted in the fall, like sun to part shade, rich soil, and prefer to have a lot of water. (at least one inch per week) .  I cut them back after the first frost and then add a 4 inch layer  of of mulch for the winter. They only grow well outdoors in zones 7 and 8, so I can't share them with my friends in Northern States. (sorry) They grow to 4 or 5 feet tall, and need dividing every few years as they multiply and spread. They don't start blooming until late August, and isn't it nice to have those fall bloomers to look forward to? 

Go turn your compost pile and take a deep breath!

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment