Saturday, August 4, 2012

Never Have Followed the Rules

Well, I was out weeding again this morning and it was so much easier because of the delicious rain we've had this week.  More storms came through last evening.

While I was weeding I looked over at my hosta bed at the East end of the deck and I just couldn't stand the way the overgrown Siberian Iris (Iris sibirica) looked.  I was trying to follow the rules and wait until fall to get them off the hostas, but they (the hostas) were screaming at me for help, so I did it, I dug up huge clumps of the Iris and moved them over near the neighbor's fence.  The soil there is very rich, composted pine tree sawdust from the big pine's stump being ground after the (yes, you guessed it) tornado.  I hope they make it, they look really good along the fence.  It may not be as consistently moist as they like it, but if they don't look good this fall, I'll move them again.  I left enough iris between the hostas to insure that I will still have some of the critters.   My hostas looked like they were very grateful for the space and air.

Siberian Iris are a clump forming species of Iris that have 1 to 3 feet tall grassy looking leaves.  They have beardless 3 inch wide flowers in the early summer in a variety of colors, but mine are dark blue.  They grow in full sun to light shade, and a variety of soil conditions.  My plant encyclopedia says they can even grow with up to 2 inches of standing water over their crowns!  When they get too crowded blooming can be reduced, but it truly is best to divide them in early spring or early fall.  They usually take at least a season to get established.

I do love the tall grassy looking leaves of these plants, and they are good pass along plant.  I always do warn the recipients of this gift about how quickly they spread and take over .

The moon flower vine that I cut back a couple of weeks ago is now grown up above the porch railing already, so I expect it will begin to flower again this next week.  I am looking forward to that event.  The volunteer morning glories are climbing over the shrubs and the blooms are so beautiful.

 I seem to also have volunteer nasturtiums under the steps from the deck.  I had them in pots there last spring.  They never do bloom very much here(at least in my garden) they get too hot, I guess, even in the afternoon shade.  The leaves are a nice glossy green, and I am leaving them there, hoping that perhaps in the fall they will get some blooms.  The blooms are edible as are the leaves, and they have a nice spicy taste when added to salads.

Peace,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment