Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Mystery Purple Bean-type plant

The weather has changed, at least temporarily to less humid and cooler. It is actually now quite pleasant to walk in the morning and be out in the garden past 7:30 AM.  If it doesn't rain before Friday I will be able to get some of  my fall veggie  crops in this week.

I'm starting to think about cooking stews and soups, so it must be nearly fall.  Time to get the chimney sweeps here to clean out the fireplace for the winter fires, and do a safety check.  Have you done yours?

The moonflowers on the front porch and back deck are full of blossoms , and delightfully beautiful.
I had Sunday night guests for dinner and book club who were all entranced by the vine on the front porch.


There is a beautiful purple bean type plant growing larger and larger by the day on the fence between my house and my neighbor's back yard.  I had planted it to grow up a tripod next to the fence, but it escaped and is now everywhere.  The seeds had been given to me by my friend Anna Lu, last year, and it didn't get nearly as large in it's location last summer.  I saved seed, and replanted this year. I do not even know what the name of the plant is.  I guess I will have to take some up to the county extension agent at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens.  I am certain that it is not a native plant.  It is not growing anywhere else, except right where I planted it,  so I am also fairly certain that it is not an invasive plant.
 I also think that it is a decorative plant, and not edible.  I certainly don't want to try eating the beans until I find out what it is.  There was just no extra time to investigate last year, and I didn't think about it,  over the winter or even this summer.  Too busy, busy , busy.

Mystery bean type plant
  If anyone out there knows what this plant is, please send me a message.  Thanks!



This past monday night I went to a program of the Wild Flower Society at the botanical gardens.
The speaker did a program on the survival  adaptations of plants and insects over the millennia.
This was particularly about the passion flower vine, and the Gulf Fritillary butterfly.  The plant developed toxins to protect against the caterpillars, the caterpillars adapted to be able to process the toxins in a way that made them immune to harm, but also made them less attractive to predators.  The plants also developed a protection that made them attractive to ants, which don't harm the plant  when they feed, but then they take the eggs of the Gulf Fritillary and move them off the plant, so the butterflies lay their eggs on nearby plants if there are ants on the passion flower vine.  All fascinating information.  I can't imagine being patient enough to do all the hours and hours of research and field work to complete this project, but I am glad there are people who feel the need.  This universe is so amazingly complicated with all the checks and balances built in to every bio system.  It becomes more fascinating the older I get !   The program reminded me that I do not have passion flower vines in this garden as of yet, and that it is time to get some!   My friend Marty says that she has seeds, so I will have to get some from her.

Peace,
Susan

4 comments:

  1. Maybe it's a hyacinth bean? Just taking a guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it has taken so long to reply, anonymous. Yes, I finally found it in my plant encyclopedia by looking through the pictures. It is a Lablab purpureus, hyacinth bean, and it is edible, although the beans should be soaked thoroughly in hot water and then the water discarded to prevent an allergic reaction in some people. Thanks for your response. It helped me to know where to start looking.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful purple flowers... just a wild guess, purple hull peas?

    I was out after dawn but before the sun hit the yard yesterday: the red Four O'Clocks were still open, and the blue Morning Glorys were blooming, all adorning the fence at the side of the yard. It was beautiful. --Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charl,
      I finally found the mystery bean in my plant encyclopedia. It is a Lablab purpureus, hyacinth bean. Edible, but strong tasting. Dry beans can cause an allergic reaction in some people, so they need to be soaked in hot water, and the water discarded before cooking and eating. Guess I'll collect some beans and save them for cooking.Thanks for the guess.

      Delete