Sunday, September 16, 2012

Planting and Planning

 In a previous blog about the first signs of fall, I mentioned the Beautyberry (Callicarpa americana) (left),  isn't the color luscious?  and the Dogwood berries (Cornus florida)  (below)
but I did not have pictures at the time, so here they are!

 Planting

 Yesterday morning I had time to get some of my fall veggie seeds in.  The soil was dry enough to work in and we are expecting rain today(Sunday) and lots of rain on Monday.  After weeding,  I mixed organic fertilizer and dry grass clippings into the existing soil and then put in snow peas, beets, spinach, onions and mixed leaf lettuce.  I thought I had carrot seed, but couldn't find it, so will have get some later in the week. I also had some garlic in the kitchen that was trying to sprout so I found a place for that as well.  There were  4 potatoes in my potato stash that were starting to sprout so I added them to a freestanding compost pile that was cooking along quite well.  We'll see what happens.  After I finished planting , I said a little prayer of blessing for the seed and the garden, and did Reiki as well.  Asking blessings for every project seems to make things go and grow better.


After I finished with my chores at home, I headed over to friend Chris's house.  She had built a retaining wall and created some usable space in a very shady area behind her house.  She wants a garden and sitting area that is filled with native plants, and I agreed to help.  She already has a pretty clear idea of what she wants and it is lovely to have a blank canvass to fill in.  The area is about 60 ft long by 16 ft in width.  In the summer it receives only dappled sun.  There is a tall lattice work at one end, and a chain link fence at the other that gives a view into the neighbor's property so the goal is to have an evergreen screen at that end.  We plan to plant two climbing vines one early bloomer and one late bloomer at the lattice end, and that is where the sitting area will be as well.  This fall we will put in some native azaleas and some oak leaf hydrangeas at the back of the area, and wax myrtle and Florida Anise at the far end where the privacy is needed.  We plan to lay out curvy paths and then plant the lower growing plants like ferns , Solomon's seal, spider wort, and wild geranium in the spring. We will also need some lower growing shrubs for balance.  Chris is not in a hurry, and plans to finish the shade garden in stages.  I am excited to be included in the project.


 Chris's   Shade  Garden


lattice area for vines
   




evergreen screen needed here





steps leading down from upper patio and fountain.




View into the woods from the steps











Back at Home!

Back in my own garden, the pineapple sage(Salvia elegans) is blooming in the planter along the driveway.  The bright red blossoms are so pretty when they bloom  in the fall, and attract hummingbirds.  The leaves smell of pineapple and can be used in cold drinks and in fruit salads. This plant is a tender perennial in the south and likes quite a bit of sun. It does die back in the winter, and I mulch it heavily after the first frost.  This one has lasted for many years, but I am sure that being protected by a retaining wall that soaks up, and then radiates the heat from the sun in the winter has had something to do with it withstanding a couple of pretty long cold spells.





Pineapple Sage (Salvia elegans)







Happy planting,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment