Monday, October 15, 2012

Jean's Fall Garden

 My sister, Jean and her husband, Michael live in a secluded valley a few miles outside of Madison, Indiana.  This is the view out their front window.  Deer come to graze in the valley, and they lease the    pasture directly  across the street from their house for Jean's horse.  Last spring when I visited, the area had a lot of debris scattered about ( mostly pink insulation) that had blown in from the tornado in Hamilton, Indiana, just about 15 miles away.The trees were just starting to turn color when I arrived for the last weekend in September.  My sister says that their property is all rock with a very thin layer of top soil, so they have to build raised beds wherever they want to plant anything.  Their vegetable garden is all wooden raised beds, and Jean has used the rocks from the creek behind the house to outline all of her flower beds.  They have  very good access to composted manure from their horse, and of course they compost all vegetable matter in bins, to use for the garden and fruit trees. This last year they built trellises at the end of the veggie garden and added  some kiwi fruit.

 The front garden border. Jean just added the window box this past spring.


The back garden border, filled with lots of Autumn Joy Sedum.
Looking out over the raised bed veggie garden, small orchard, martin house and valley.  




 Jean has already harvested her cabbage once, and is getting some smaller, repeat heads as a bonus.

Autumn Joy Sedum does bring joy to my heart 

I love the metal fish that hangs from the clothesline in the back garden.

 More Autumn Joy !

I am back from my travels for a while, so my entries will be more regular.  Next up, the Wisconsin trip, followed by California.

No comments:

Post a Comment