Wednesday, October 31, 2012

October in Our Home Garden

 This week I found a beautiful swallowtail butterfly caterpillar on my parsley.  I have a fairly large patch of parsley in order to attract them.  I also like to use the parsley in my cooking so am very careful about checking for chrysalises and caterpillars when I cut and pick. Sometimes I miss them and feel horrible when I have discovered my mistake.


I have a nice crop of basil ready for making what might be the last batches of pesto for the year.  I have several in the freezer to last for the winter. That will be a Saturday project this week.

Not from my garden, but something I like to cook especially in the fall is apple slices and raisins steamed together in my vegetable steamer.  I steam them until the apples are just getting soft.  It doesn't even need any added sugar or even spices.  My Bible study group loves this dish when they come here for breakfast.



 My bok choy (left) is ready to harvest.  We will have some good stir fry this week. I love the patterns of the leaves, and the green and white combination of colors.
 baby bok
 Wax myrtles are doing ok so far.  I have been watering the new little guys most days.  The last couple have just been too windy and cold (the effects of Sandy) to get out there with the hose, but the wind had died down this morning so they got a drink.

 The zinnias and now the hyacinth bean have been happily escaping onto the Vestavia Hills Parks Department land behind our house.  The grass the city planted there has all browned out , so I am happy to have the color.  I don't know the long term effects of these escapees , so I may have to do some control next summer.  For right now, I am pleased.
 The compost pile potato patch (right)  planted from potatoes I left too long on the kitchen shelf.  I hope I get a few from this planting. Next year I want to put in a patch of fingerling potatoes.  The grandchildren are especially fond of the purple variety.
 New little osmanthes (left)  I have planted 5 along the fence and have one left to put in the back border near the wax myrtles.
I just love the colors on this little guy.  I hope he makes it.



Happy planting !  Gma Susie

No comments:

Post a Comment