Thursday, October 18, 2012

Why I Hug a Special Tree/ The Delavan Wisconsin Arboretum

The Delavan Memorial Arboretum in Delavan, Wisconsin is one of my favorite places to visit because my Mom and Dad's ashes are buried there, under a tree.  Many of their friends are nearby. I think this is a grand idea for  upcycling.  The ashes are useful, and I feel that when I hug the tree, I am hugging my Mom and Dad.
This beautiful sign is at the entrance and the arboretum is bordered by a shallow lake, Lake Comus.  There are walking trails and benches a boat ramp just outside the arboretum (below) and fishing pier. Fishing is also allowed  from anywhere along the banks of the lake.  It is generally a quiet, peaceful and pleasant place to be.


On the other side of the lake, far over on the left is the traditional type of cemetery, up on the hillside. It is  a beautiful place as well.  There is a spring there, just inside the gate, and when we were children, my father would take us there to gather watercress for watercress sandwiches. This is  another of my favorite memories.  My father was good at making everything seem like an adventure.

Mom and Dad's bronze plaques and their tree.




One of the small gardens in a sunny spot near the lake.


 A wetland area.
The original arboretum is full, so an extension was added.  I have a feeling it will fill up quickly.


The next few pictures are of back yard gardens bordering the arboretum.  This is all former farm land.  I believe it was the Dibble Farm.



A wonderful hedge of native grass.

Back to the beginning of the trail .


Do you see the bee in the center of one of the aster blooms?




Gaillardia pulchella, or blanket flower, or Indian blanket , in among the asters. Gaillardia is found over most of the US as a wildflower except in th Northwest.  It is also cultivated, and escapes cultivation and spreads to the wild.  It blooms from May into September.
On the next blog you'll see pictures of  Lazy Cloud Lodge and Lake Geneva path gardens.

1 comment:

  1. I just came across your blog because my husband and I are moving to Delavan from rural New York. The arboretums and Comus Lake are the part of Delavan we are most interested in exploring!

    ReplyDelete