Friday, October 26, 2012

Northwind Perrenial Farm, Burlington, Wisconsin

 My Sister, Sandi , and I visited one of our favorite spots to shop for plants and garden decorations in Wisconsin.  It is just outside Lake Geneva, near Burlington, and has amazing demonstration gardens.  Northwind is set in an old farmstead and sells native plants, ornamental grasses, shrub roses and many garden accents and gift and decorative items.  The barns and outbuildings are full of wonderful treasures and you can even walk into an old silo where it is fun to hear your voice echo. Kids love it there, and there are even goats to visit.

You can visit their website to find out more at www.northwindperennialfarm.com/

These are just a few of the informational signs available as you wander through the demonstration gardens.









One of the picturesque outbuildings used to display items for sale.  Some of the decorations I have in my garden came from Northwind.  I had a couple of the plaques break in half when the tornado came through and took out the fence outside the kitchen, and I have not glued them back together yet.  That will be a project for a cold , rainy day this coming winter.  Two of the metal items survived just fine.
One of the many planters scattered through the farm. (right)




In my own garden this week, I am bringing tender potted plants inside.  Before I do that , however, I will spray them with Safer brand insect killing soap, so as not to spread insects to the plants that have remained inside all summer.  Even after spraying and bringing them in , they will be isolated from the other plants for a while.  www.saferbrand.com/store/garden-care/5118  Safer brand was one of the products recommended at the organic gardening class I attended this past summer.  It is OMRI listed.(organic materials review institute)  Even organic insecticides should be used judiciously because they may still kill some of the insects you would rather have around.  I only use them when things get way out of balance in the garden, and in instances like bringing in plants for the winter.  I don't mind a few harmful insects around as long as they don't destroy everything and take over.  It is all about BALANCE, BALANCE, BALANCE.  Of course if I were a commercial grower, trying to sell my produce or flowers I might mind even a few unwanted visitors, which is one of the reasons it is so very difficult to be an organic farmer.  It requires constant vigilance.

Lantana camara at the front of our driveway planter.
This morning when I was outside watering my new plantings of  johnny jump ups( violas) and California poppies, I wandered over to the area where we have the Japanese maple and Knockout roses.  In the center of the area  I discovered a volunteer Lantana poking up.  Lantana camara is evergreen down on the gulf coast and blooms most of the time there, here it dies back and must be cut back after the first frost  and heavily mulched to have it return in the spring. It may be lost if it is a very cold winter, but I have some that I have had for over 6 years.  They are also a good container plant and can be brought in for the winter.  They like most any kind of soil if it is well drained.  I have to be patient in the spring because they take their time coming back up.  Just when I begin to think I might have to replace them I will see a few leaves starting to poke out.  I start to remove some of the mulch in late March, and just leave a light layer into April. Lantana likes sun to part shade.  It is fairly drought hardy and has beautiful pink, yellow, reddish, orange or white blooms, many are what I call a confetti of several of the colors.  They are very attractive to butterflies which is one of the many reasons I love these plants.

Happy planting,
Susan the wanderer

No comments:

Post a Comment