Friday, July 6, 2012

Feng Shui In The Garden

A few years ago I was trying to use feng shui to improve  our home, and hopefully our fortunes.  I had read that if your house has an L shape that you need to put a water feature at what would be the corner  of the house if were square. It has something to do with having and keeping friends.  Making new friends and keeping the old ones is important to me, so I put a birdbath in that corner.  It just so happened that that corner was in the front middle of a path to access the veggie and herb garden. 
At that time (pre-tornado)  there were not a lot of places to put any kind of garden that had enough sun, and the shape of the garden was dictated, and still is, by a retaining wall and the place where a big pine tree was cut down.
This morning I just got finally fed up with walking around that thing!  I think that blocking a path at the very beginning of the path is probably not good feng shui either.  I moved it to the side just a foot or so and put it next to the lemon grass.  It looks so much better, and we'll see what happens with the friendships!  It is still lined up with one of the corners of the house at least.
There must be some feng shui books that are specific for gardens.  I will look at the library this next week.

Other news:
Our baby robins left the nest last week.  This was the second batch.  Poor mom and dad must be worn out by now.  The nest was under the deck where I need to go all the time.  I guess we didn't bother them too much.  We both loved to go out  there every morning and check on the progress.  We could just see the little beaks sticking up from the side of the nest.  This last time there were 3, the first time 4.

The figs are starting to ripen so I go out  first thing every morning to pick some before the birds get them all.  I am leaving the very top ones for the critters.  I believe in sharing.

The blackberries are about done, and it is time to start cutting back the old canes and tying up the new ones.  We had some huge plump berries this year.  I purchased the thornless bushes a couple of years ago.  Painless picking.  Petals from the Past in Jemison, Alabama has some good videos on pruning and trellising blackberries.  I plan to review them before I get to work.

Most of this morning was spent digging out weeds from around and in the rock path and garden on our slope .  It was mostly ignored last year after we cleaned off the fallen trees and despite that we still have a lot of our plants left.  The weeds seem uncontrollable this year though.  I guess they decided they were welcomed last year.  So wrong. In some places I have had to resort to using an herbicide.  It is just overwhelming.  The roots are so intertwined that it is hard not to damage the desired plants when I am digging.  I hope that when I replant them there are enough roots left for them to survive.  I have lost some dwarf mondo grass from between the stones in the upper path.  They had just been planted last spring before the tornado and didn't get enough time to get established.  Since this is the second year I think that if I can keep enough alive that next year it will really take off.

Well, I have blabbed enough for one day.  More tomorrow!
Gma Susie
 


No comments:

Post a Comment