Thursday, July 12, 2012

Finally we have had much needed rain and a break in the temperatures.  We did have a storm on Monday night which took out our power for  12 hours.  Not fun. It put me behind on everything, especially getting to the computer.

We are swimming in figs, so I am trying to come up with some fig recipes that my husband will like.
Last night I used a recipe from a facebook friend sent last year.  I put a layer of figs in a glass casserole, added crumbled feta cheese on top, then drizzled with Alabama honey, made a topping with 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar with 1/2 cup butter cut in until it was crumbly.  Baked at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.  Excellent flavor.  Can be served hot or cold. This morning I stewed up some figs and strawberries together  to make a topping for cake, ice cream, whatever.  I my get bold and try to make some preserves, but that will require a trip to the store for supplies.


I collected several cucumbers yesterday and unfortunately the birds got my best looking heirloom tomato.  I had left it on the vine an extra day to ripen.  I won't make that mistake again.  I have had good luck in the past with the use of fake snakes I purchase from Smith's Variety Store in Mountain Brook Village.  They are placed near the tomatoes and act as  a deterrent.  I moved it to a different location, so maybe it will be more noticeable now.

I have noticed one blossom starting to form on the okra.  As soon as I have enough I will call my friend whose parrot loves okra.  She only gives him organic.  Birds are very sensitive to any kind of chemicals.  She can sometimes find him some at the Pepper Place Farmers Market on Saturdays.
I will be happy to indulge her sweet bird with some of his favorite snacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment