Saturday, July 7, 2012

Saturday Morning Changes

This morning when I checked our lone sunflower it was in pieces and all the seeds gone.  Hungry birds.
Clipped it off and we'll attempt to get more of them to germinate next spring.  Last year they came up all over the place, gifts from the tornado.  This year, when they were intentionally planted, not much happened.

I had just about finished with my spot watering when it started raining.  It only rained lightly for a short time though, and then got very hot again this afternoon. So I guess I hadn't watered for nothing.  There are a few spots that missed their turn, so I'll be at it again tomorrow.  We are supposed to have more rain this week and then get a little cooler.  Below 90 will feel good.

I got lots of weeding done in the veggie garden this morning, and then my husband mowed, so I had lots of grass clippings to use for mulch in the weeded areas.  We just got a new mower.  Its a Honda brand and has a setting so that you can partially mulch and partially bag when you mow.  Very nice for when we want some clippings for the compost or for mulch.

 Its about time to put in another planting of beans.  We're still getting quite a few from the previous planting, but I'd like some later in the fall as well. I am still amazed by the purple beans I planted this spring for the first time.  They turn green when cooked and are difficult to tell apart from the green ones.

The late planting of basil is doing well, and its almost time for home made pesto.  Yummy.  My daughter tells me that my home recipe for the stuff is much better than store bought.  I usually combine a couple of recipes from my herb book.  It just depends on which ingredients I have handy.

In May, when I was in NYC we ate at a restaurant called Spring on Park.  They had the best appetizer.
It was pistachio pesto topped with feta cheese and cooked beets with honey  drizzled over the top.  Wonderful flavors.  I like just about anything with feta cheese anyway, but the pistachio pesto was excellent.

The finches were back this morning to eat off the seed heads of the coneflowers and from the zinnias.  I'm happy to go without deadheading in order to feed the birds.  We also had a hummingbird enjoying the zinnias. 

Happy planting to you,
GMa Susie

No comments:

Post a Comment