Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fragrant Garden 2

Yesterday and this morning I saw what I think is a papilo glaucus, or Eastern Tiger Swallowtail butterfly in the dark phase.  It was visiting the zinnias, and is so very beautiful.  I will check with some experts to make sure that is who our visitor is.  I just googled and looked for pictures.  My husband may be kind and let me borrow his camera for next time.  My cell phone probably won"t take a good picture for ID.  I'll need zoom capabilities.

Last night Sidney and Sophie, daughters of my husband's stepsister visited the garden.  They were interested in the little fairy house and garden , which was an Easter Sunday project for young visitors. It is built under 3 Rose of Sharon bushes .  Our Easter guests also put mardi gras beads in the branches of the bushes, so it is quite sparkly and colorful there.  We had a great time playing ball toss, and then toured the herbs.  I pinched off bits of the plants for them to smell and they took home some rosemary for their mom to attempt to root.  I love talking about plants with young visitors.

Sidney and Sophie especially loved the lavender.

lavandula angustifolia, the name comes from the latin,  lavare  which means  "to wash". The scent has a calming effect, and its oil has been called a "universal healing oil"  The flowers are often dried and used as sachets, and it has been shown to be a a help in relieving intestinal gas.  It is very good to use in the bedroom to help have a good night's sleep.  It has also been used to help repel mosquitoes.
 The ancient Phoenicians and Egyptians began its use as perfume and of course it is still being used for this purpose.  

In the garden, it needs a dry sunny location.  I have mine in a planter along the driveway retaining wall that sometimes fills with water, but once a year I add more sand to the soil there, and it has done well.   Luckily, the water quickly drains. 

If you are having a hectic day or are emotionally upset and need calming it is good to have some lavender available in the garden when you get home.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment