Monday, July 16, 2012

Moonflowers and okra

Beautiful Okra bloom and small okra pods.
Morning glories
Moonflower blooms.  An evening treasure.




Moonflowers (Ipomea alba) are the beautiful nighttime counterpart to morning glories (Ipomea pupurea).

Both vines are grown from seed and it is best to scratch the hard shell of the seeds and then soak them overnight for better germination.  They are both annuals, but I did have volunteer (self seeded) morning  glories this year from last years potted crop.

This year I planted a potted moonflower on the East side of  our little front porch.  Without our big tree there it gets a lot more sun than it used to.  Bad mistake to put it in a pot.  It is too thirsty all the time.  I am going to prune it back this week and put it in the ground.  Starting over.  I do have another one in the back under the deck  that is just starting to take off.  A gift from friend Jackie,  I was wise enough to put that in the ground from the start.

Moonflowers have huge, hand size white fragrant flowers that start to bloom at sunset, and you can  sit and watch the flowers open.  Very exciting event  for kids and even adults.

They do bloom better if old flowers are deadheaded.

You can read more about these beautiful plants in Alabama Gardeners Guide by Jennifer Greer.  For most of her entries she has put short human interest stories about her friend's gardens and their use of the plants she is describing.  It is a good book for gardeners who love pass along plants.

This morning I picked a first batch of okra.  It must be picked while very small or you have only too tough to use harvest.  Once it starts producing it is best to be out there every morning to pick.  The pods grow an amazing amount in one day.  I enjoy the flowers .  They are creamy white with a red/purple colored center.  Very pretty.  It will be tomorrow before I have enough to make it worth cooking them, but there are lots of little ones out there.  This is the first year I have had so many plants, 7 of them.  Since I planted them late, they are still less than hip high on me.  When they get big I think I will be wearing long sleeves when I pick, the plants do not feel good on the skin!

Susan                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment