Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Fragrant garden 1

Yesterday I had a the best time just walking through the garden grabbing handfuls of herbs and enjoying the smells.  I started to think about all I had learned in aromatherapy classes about the effects of herbal oils on mood and thought I might share some of the information from the classes and all of my books.
Rosemary is one of my favorites.  We use it a lot in chicken soup and of course with lamb and  beef  One of my friends added just a little to her rice for a dinner party.  That was the best rice I've ever had!

Rosemarinus officinalis L.
Mint family

In ancient Greece, rosemary was said to strengthen the memory and students at that time wore sprigs of it in their hair as they studied.  It also is a symbol of remembrance.

It has been used for centuries to rid the intestines of gas.

Used in baths, it can help increase circulation, and is also used to combat fatigue and headaches.

Rosemary likes alkaline, well drained soil, and full sun.  In the Birmingham area it can be grown as a landscape plant.  One friend, Diane, has a rosemary hedge.  My sister in Wisconsin grows hers in a pot and brings it in for the winter where it likes her sunny window.

I seem to always have had difficulty propogating it , but have just been able to root some in a glass of water in my sunny windowsill.  Lets see what happens when I put it in soil!
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment