Monday, July 30, 2012

Why Hostas?

Hostas, plants in the liliaceae family are beautiful shade or part-shade accents or ground covers.  They have tall spikes of flowers in the summer(which some people just trim off) but they are grown for their beautiful foliage.  They come variegated, one color, bumpy, smooth and in a variety of colors.  Hosta's foliage dies back in the fall and they are some of the first plants to start putting up shoots in the spring.  I have found that when they are first starting to come up is the best time to divide them.  They are a great pass along plant.  You can get just a few from a friend, or nursery and in a few years, have a large collection just by continual dividing.  They are very hardy, and it is difficult to get the whole plant if you want to clear an area and move them all to a different place. The little bit of root stock that gets left will generate a new plant.

My hostas have of course suffered along with all the other shade loving plants that I haven't been able to move to shady areas.  I was just starting to get a good collection in the front of my house in front of the azaleas pre-tornado.  I already had quite a few out in back in the fern glade and along the East side of the house.  All but a few were pass- alongs. 

My sweet sister, Sandi, in Wisconsin has a beautiful shady area near her deck that is hosta heaven. they are huge, and a beautiful dark green. Hostas seem to me to do better and grow larger in the usually more cool weather up North.  She gave me several plants a few years ago when I was there on a visit, and of course they are some of my favorites.    I have noticed that since they get more sun the leaves have adapted by becoming more elongated, and a lighter green.

I have relocated many of my hostas to an area under the deck, where they are a little bit more sheltered, but are still getting too much sun as the leaves have been yellowing in the sun and heat of this hot summer.  I do have plans for a little bit more shrubbery to be put in this fall, so I hope that the little bit of extra shade will help.  The ones we have in front of the front porch are looking particularly stressed, and I doubt it will get more shady there anytime soon, so they will have to be moved this fall and something else planted there in front of the azaleas, which are doing well, despite all the sun exposure.  I figure that if the azaleas can make it through this summer, they can take just about any abuse.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment